SC - possibly OOP - wood stove

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Oct 13 12:21:06 PDT 1998

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> I still maintain that feasts costs are not the cause of high event fees. They
> are almost always attributable to increased site fees or a desire on the part
> of the shire to make money off of the event when auctions, contests and
> raffles of donated goods would accomplish the same purpose without increasing
> the event fee.
>
> Ras.

I must agree with Ras here.  Yes, there are folks who cannot afford $5 per
person for a family of five.  I know several families like that.  They
don't go to McDonald's either, they stay home and each mac and cheese.

But most of the folks I know who go off board at a feast do it for -other-
than monetary reasons.  $5 per head in the SCA gets you a LOT more food
than $5 per head at McD's!

One problem I have seen in some areas, including some areas of my own
kingdom, is groups who see feasts as a way to make money and charge $10 to
$15 per person for feast and then give the cooks half or less of that
amount to cook on.  Admittedly, I can rarely get out of Outback or Black
Angus for $15 per head, and admittedly, I get more food for my $15 at an
SCA event, but I feel that this is a shabby way to make money for the
group.  I'd rather see money making fees added to the site fees and shared
equally than added to the feast fees where people can choose whether or
not they want to pay them.

Elaina

If anyone is interested I could either post or send privately my
gen-u-ine, tried-and-true, possibly magical equations for budgeting site
and feast fees.

- ----- End Included Message -----