Permission granted (was Re: SC - Salting proceedure)

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Wed Oct 14 06:44:05 PDT 1998

Seannach wrote:
>  I am beginning to do research for a Nov.'99 feast, and was wondering if
> it would be "acceptable" to do a sort of "tour" through time.  By this I
> mean to take a period dish from several different time periods, or
> countries, and incorporate them into the feast.  Has this ever been
> done?  Would it be acceptable or a no-no?  Thank you for your guidance.

Hi!

Congratulations on your first feast!  I guess it sort of depends on
what you mean by "acceptable".  A feast such as you describe would
not have taken place in period (to my knowledge), but that doesn't
mean that I can tell you whether you can do it or not.

When I am researching for a feast I pick one specific time AND one
specific place (like the 14th Century English feast I am working on
right now that ALL comes out of Cury on Inglische).  That way you
know that you are at least putting together foods that a given person
could have eaten (in say, 14th C England), even if not all at the
same meal.  The next step is to take a look at period menus and how
they are put together so that you can try to organize your menu
similarly, giving foods that a person could have eaten all at the
same feast.

I know it sounds kind of cool to do a tour through time or space, but
 there are so many other options that are truly period that can be
just as cool done right.

Claricia Nyetgale
 currently gearing up for Feast of the Hare (November 7th in Ottawa,
Ontario -- anyone wanna come?)
 hoping some day to do a really fabulous Andalusian feast