SC - Period Feasts

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Wed Oct 14 12:36:04 PDT 1998

Bear, commenting on a comment said,

> I have attended poorly planned feasts (let's see . . . . . there was
> the "all soup feast" and the "every meat dish has alcohol in it" and
> . . . ) that I definitely didn't enjoy, but that doesn't mean that a
> truly period feast has to be unenjoyable.

Add "onions in everything" and "overspicing is medieval" to that list.

Well, for me when I first got into the Society, all the feasts seemed
to have boiled chicken (I don't remember interesting sauces, just that
greasy white chicken skin) glazed carrots, and prunes in all sorts of
odd places.  I remember one feast that seemed to have dried fruit in
EVERYTHING!  And over-cooked barley (you know the kind, that is gluey
and sticks to the servers?)

Things are much better now (and yes, I have eaten one of Bear's
feasts, and it is worth driving to Oklahoma for!)  and hopefully if we
all try to gently educate the populace, while still including things
they recognize and love in our food planning, I think eventually we
will overcome the "feast fear" some people have when you mention
Medieval food.

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra