SC - Politarchopolis event

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Wed Oct 14 19:14:31 PDT 1998

Cariadoc asks:

>Suppose we were talking about modern ethnic food. Do you  think that by
taking the best tasting dish from Chinese cuisine, and the best tasting
Thai dish, and the best taking Japanese dish, and the best tasting Indian
dish, you would produce a better dinner than if you chose four good dishes
from one of those cuisines?<

Actually, Cariadoc, I frequently do just that in my mundane life, being the
all-American mutt I am. I have a particular love for hors d'oervres, or dim
sum, or tapas, or whatever you wish to call it, and I have no problem with
eating, say, Chinese dumplings, Japanese sushi or clear soup, a Thai spiced
stew, and a vegetable curry, and making a meal of it. I know others want to
get into the particular ambiance of a particular culture, but particularly
when I'm learning about something new, I want to have something I KNOW is
good to fall back on if the new dish(es) are not to my taste.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom