SC - feastware question

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Oct 14 22:19:34 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Bear passes on this good advice...
> Personal experience suggests that the pleasure of the food is more in the
> quality of the cooking than in the recipes.  Bad cooking is bad cooking
and
> blaming "period" recipes does not change the fact.
> <snip>
> If you wish to cook feasts, let me say you need to taste and test and
try.
> You need to test the recipes.  You need to taste them as the cook to see
how
> the flavors blend.  And you need to try the recipes out on some
associates
> to see how they are received, how they will play in a feast, and what
> changes you need to make to fine tune them.  I usually throw a dinner
party
> for 12 to 16 when I'm testing out a feast menu and I do not lack for
> volunteers.

i heartely second this! I have taught Feast Planning classes in the SCA and
been told "oh, but I never pretest!". It was like it was a point of pride
with them. They may have lucked out, but theres nothing that cant be done
better and cheaper if you plan ahead.

Before a banquet, we do a dish a minimum of three times. We often will hand
the reconstructed recipe out to someone else to see if they can follow our
instructions. Things are checked for "goof proofedness" as well as how much
it actually makes.

Test, test and retest!!!!!
- --Anne-Marie
Madrone/AnTir