SC - feastware question

Helen him at gte.net
Wed Oct 14 23:12:59 PDT 1998

hi all from Anne-Marie!

we are asked:
>     I sure you have talked about  this in the past and I have read all
past files on
> the subject, but I still do not understand....... WHY, if man has been
making
> pottery since prehistory, does everyone say my 12th cent. feast needs to
have
> wooden/bread trenchers or metal?  Why was pottery not vogue in that time?
 I just
> got through looking at a site that has beautiful late anglo-saxon
reproduction
> pottery on it.   (from historical dig site finds) What time frame was
that?

I'm betting it has less to do with real history than the fact that the
wooden platters from IKEA and the import store plus the pewter steak plates
from the thrift store are what everyone has (they dont break when you throw
them in the basket) and so that's what people are used to.

Yes, Virginia, there is TONS of period pottery. Of course, lots of it got
busted, but its out there. The trick is to get the approrpirate shapes and
glazes.

- --AM, who was given some way cool 15th century appropriate bowls from
Pennsic!