SC - FW: Similarities

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 15 07:17:14 PDT 1998

Ragnar Greybeard wrote:

		In my opinion, the first and foremost thing is to make the
populace eating your feast happy. This is not a competition, 		so
if it is not absolutly totally period, yet everyone enjoys it, 		that
is more important.

It is true that the first job of a feast is to feed everyone, and if they
can/will not eat it you haven't done that, but you cannnot use that as an
excuse for serving Mashed Potatoes, Steak and Green Beans and calling it
"close enough".

But, you know, maybe we look at feasts all wrong.  Maybe the first job is
not to feed everyone, but to give everyone the chance to experience another
facet of living in the Middle Ages.  After all, it is just one meal on one
day of the week.  If it is prepared well the feast can add a wonderfull link
to the life that we are trying to emulate.  As for feast that are ineadible,
as so many have said before me, bad cooking is bad cooking regardless of
where the receipe origianted.

I just don't understand why we expect period cloths, armor, tapestries,
feast gear, riding livery, weapons (at least the carry around ones),
carvings, scrolls, banners, heraldry (okay, there are those that will argue
the heraldry thing, but lets not go there on this list), etc...etc....but
you mention period food or bardic and everyone runs for the hills.

sigh.

Alys D.