SC - Period Feasts/modern tastes

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 15 11:05:06 PDT 1998

Gretchen M Beck wrote:

> Along similar lines, has anyone found a good way to get large amounts of
> marrow.  The butchers I've talked to around here (admittedly, not many)
> just look at me funny when I ask for marrow bones. The recipes that call
> for marrow (apple pie among them) are sooo much better when actually
> made with marrow...(although, due to the problem mentioned above, I
> usually substitute butter :-()

One possibility would be to order a beef shank (a.k.a. soup meat where I come
from), and ask for it to be sliced/sawn across the bone into steaks. The meat
is cheap and great in stews (it pretty much _never_ dries out, no matter how
long you cook it!), and you can lift the bone sections right out and freeze
the rest if you're of a mind. You might also try asking for the specific bone,
preferably in advance. In other words, instead of going in and asking for
marrow bones in a place where most people don't eat marrow, try going in and
saying, I'm cooking something that calls for some marrow x days from now,
would there be any chance you could save me a veal (yum!) or beef shank bone?
Accompanied by a smile and perhaps a prudent steak order, you might get better
results, and maybe even get it sawn up, as well. My guys know I'm insane, so
they'll split such bones the long way on a band saw!

Adamantius, whose butcher is beyond pearls
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com