SC - More Pig Questions

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Oct 15 12:54:22 PDT 1998

Ras writes:

>> And you need to try the recipes out on some associates
>> to see how they are received, how they will play in a feast, and what
>> changes you need to make to fine tune them.  I usually throw a dinner
>> party for 12 to 16 when I'm testing out a feast menu and I do not lack for
>> volunteers.

Anne-Marie responds:

> i heartely second this! I have taught Feast Planning classes in the SCA and
> been told "oh, but I never pretest!". It was like it was a point of pride
> with them. They may have lucked out, but theres nothing that cant be done
> better and cheaper if you plan ahead.

Actually, though I agree with Anne-Marie about testing recipes, I must confess I am a staunch opponent of the ubiquitous "tasting dinner."

NOT because I don't believe in testing the recipes ahead of time; I do that anyway, both when I redact them and when I'm gearing up for feast.  (Remind me to tell you the story of my husband's accidental period chicken sometime...)

**Soapbox mode on**

What I DON'T agree with (this is not directed at any specific person, just a general complaint) is the common practice in my area of paying for the tasting dinner **out of the feast budget.**

I think that reeks!  I have been to too many feasts where there was barely a mouthful of meat per person "but we spent all the money in the budget."  Yeah, and I bet they paid retail, too...  <sigh>

I think that if one pays $12-$15 for a feast, one should get a feast.  Not a mini-dinner plus the knowledge that one paid for the cook and the local nobility and a few friends to have a nice three-course meal last week.

**Soapbox mode off**

Pardon the semi-rant; this topic came perilously close to one of my buttons... :-)  NO offense meant toward Anne-Marie or Ras, who have my highest respect, or toward anyone else...

	- kat