SC - Re: Ikea

Helen him at gte.net
Thu Oct 15 13:40:35 PDT 1998

'Twas questioned:

> WHY, if man has been making pottery since prehistory, does everyone
>say my 12th cent. feast needs to  have wooden/bread trenchers or
>metal?  Why was pottery not vogue in that time? I  just got through
>looking at a site that has beautiful late anglo-saxon reproduction
>pottery on it.   (from historical dig site finds) What time frame was
>that?

One question is:  What kind of pottery is it?  Cooking pots?  Serving
dishes?  Are they truly eating-off-of plates?  For example, pottery was
certainly used for cooking purposes, but all info I have seen is that
Italy began using pottery dishes (don't know about Spain) for feasts
before England.  Tudor times still commonly featured wooden ware.
Consider...We use metal pots for cooking.  Where are all our metal
eating-off-of plates?

Alys Katharine