SC - Period Foods CAN be Edible

Kathleen M Hogan kathleen.hogan at juno.com
Thu Oct 15 19:47:22 PDT 1998

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/15/1998 9:38:37 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
> tyrca at yahoo.com writes:
>
> <<  We go to great lengths to prove the learning and scholarship of the
> scribes who hand copied books for most of period.  And yet, without thinking,
> we make emotional judgments about their food without even examining the facts.
> On this list, my own horizons have been vastly expanded to see a greater and
> very diverse Medevial world.  They really were like us, and enjoyed eating the
> same way we do. >>
>
> I think there are two problems we face.  The first is that there isn't much
> recourse if you eat a bad feast, other than suffering through it and
> remembering who the cook was.  If you get a poorly done scroll, for instance,
> you can go to you Kingdom scribe to be put on the back scrolls list or you can
> ask a scribe you know to do a new one.  All of our other arts are the same
> way, you can either get it fixed or get it re-done.  Badly cooked food can not
> be redone.

I attended a feast once (I won't mention the event or the cook so as not to
disparage this poor soul).  The feast was an incredible fare.  The problem was,
the cook was chosen because she cooked the royalties' favorites and because they
were expensive favorites, she cooked a feast served to everyone plus three
separate dishes served only to high table.  She had too much to do, honestly.  The
problem was, while high table thoroughly enjoyed the feast, the portions served to
us "below the salts" were burned, cold on presentation, you name it...every course
was lousy.  You can't fix a bad feast.  That one will forever stick in my mind as
a really bad idea.

Brenna