SC - Re: Feastware Question

Helen him at gte.net
Thu Oct 15 21:02:31 PDT 1998

Brenna wrote:

> But, the reason I use wood has more to do
> with the US Government (at least USDA for it's studies in kitchen safety) than
> durability.  Wooden cutting boards (and feast gear) swell when they get wet and
> create an inhospitable environment for the growth of nasties.

Can you supply some info on what publication of the USDA that comes from, and
where I might find it? I ask only because it is completely the opposite of
everything I've ever been taught, and more or less contravenes local law where
I live, in the land of lawyers and restaurants. You can't buy a food-service
sized wooden cutting board in New York City today, at least not legally.
Nowadays they are either some kind of plastic, or a hard rubber that's really
fun to play with, mold, and shape when it's still hot from the industrial dishwasher...

I'm not questoning your word, but I'd like to take it up with the USDA. Some
info would be helpful in getting to the bottom of this.

Thanks!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy