SC - "No Naked Food" Suprise

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Thu Oct 15 23:25:19 PDT 1998

Greetings, the list.

and Ceridwen said:
> The object you found sounds to me like the "control" part of the damper
>mechanism. Look along the stovepipe before it enters the wall, and see if
there is
>a  hole drilled through both sides of it. The damper should have a round
plate which
>fits inside the stovepipe and the "key" thingy fits through it and extends
out both
>sides of the pipe. One end should be a handle to turn it and the other
should be
>threaded and pointed. You may be missing the plate part of the damper. Only a
>theory.. but check it out.

One slightly grubby poke around later - nope, this particular model of stove
doesn't seem to have any mechanisms in the actual stovepipe.  I'm sure
you're right and the widgett is for controlling the damper, but most of the
controllish bits seem to be in the front of the stove, near the bottom
(mystic little bits of pipe, and levers, and what have you).   I shall
simply have to keep on poking around.

and Ras said:
>This is a handle. :-) You will notice depressions in the stove lids and some
>other parts. This handle is inserted into them to lift them off. :-)

Again, after some fiddling: one of the stove plates has four little
depressions in it, but they don't fit the thread of the handle thingy.  Both
plates seem fairly solid - I don't know if they're actually meant to move at
all.

This is beginning to feel like 20 questions - does it do x, or y, or z?? :>
Many thanks for everyone's  suggestions and warnings - the quest will continue.

Melisant

Melisant de Huguenin
Minister of Arts and Sciences, Shire of Adamastor, Drachenwald (Cape Town,
South Africa)
Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
Jessica Tiffin * melisant at iafrica.com