wooden cutting boards was:Re: SC - Re: Feastware Question

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Oct 15 23:38:10 PDT 1998

ooo! oo! I know this one! :)
Hi from AM
Adamantius asks us about the report that wood is cleaner than other stuff.

I actually saw this, it was in Science News, vol. 143. Sorry, dont have a
date, that's all that's on the copy in our guild files.. The study reported
that samples taken from cutting boards of various types showed that just
below the surface of wooden cutting boards was actually lower than the
counts from other types of boards, including plastic. Apparently, the wood
contains antibacterial properties.

The reserachers, Dean O. Cliver and Nese O. Ak from U of Wisconsin-Madison
innoculated a bunch of cutting boards and found that within three minutes,
most of the cooties were dead in the wood board, but they were all still
there in the plastic. When incubated, they grew happily in the plastic
board, while they recovered no living colonies from the wood board, even
three days later.

I still bleach the snot out of my wood cutting board whenever I do red-flag
foods like chicken, but otherwise I dont worry about it much.

how's that for service :)?!
- --Anne-Marie
Madrone/An Tir