SC - Gravlax redux

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Oct 16 22:25:50 PDT 1998

>>Tyrca said
>>  We took them to a local Japanese
>>restaurant with the chef cooking hibachi style right at our table.
>>They loved it, and ate every morsel, with chopsticks.

>As an addendum to my previous story, when my daughter was having
>trouble with the chopsticks, the cook excused himself for a moment,
>and came back with some "trainer" chopsticks for her.  Basically they
>were the same break-apart chopsticks, but he had added a small roll of
>paper between them near the top, and a rubberband at the top holding
>the two together, making more of a tweezers sort of thing.  She was
>delighted.  Has anyone else seen this before?
>
>Tyrca

Seen it?  Heck, I've made 'em!  We had eaten at a resteraunt that
actually had chopstick/tweezer things for the kids.  The girls both
managed to bring theirs home, but they were supposed to be disposable
and so broke a few meals later.   Inspired, I cut and whittled two
little pieces from another chopstick into "dumbells", carved out a
little cradle at the top end of two more pair of chopsticks (think
Lincoln Logs) and rubberbanded the peices together.  These lasted for
years, until each girl realized she could manage regular chopsticks.

Bonne