SC - Re: Ikea

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Oct 16 18:36:58 PDT 1998

William asks:

>1) I've heard (seen?) "The Miscellany" mentioned on the list a lot, could
>some one please explain this=-)

The Miscellany is a book written and published by Cariadoc and myself; it
includes a lot of stuff, but what is of particular interest to this list is
a large section of worked-out period recipes, original included, at the
beginning.  There are also a few feast articles in the articles section.
We are up to the eighth edition in print, and the sixth is available online
at:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

We expect to get the newest edition up sometime before too long.
>3) I'm in the process of trying to put a menu for a feast (the first I've
>actually organised the catering for) and I'm tring to keep it as acurate to
>late 11th/early 12th century England as possible.

Unfortunately, I know of no recipes that early.  I can send you some
information about period mentions of dishes from the later 12th century;
email me if you're interested.  For this feast I would go with 13th-15th
century English or French dishes, for which we do have recipes--see the
Miscellany for both worked-out recipes and sources.

>... but we have some vegetarians(?sp) in our group. My
>problems are (i) can any one  give me (or direct me to) some reciepes for a
>vegtable stewy type dish (one of my other reciepes is a mutton stew)

Try Rapes in Potage (meaning turnips, though carrots or parsnips are
mentioned as alternatives); recipe in the Miscellany.

>(ii) I need to if a quichey type dish my wife makes ( it's a mixture of
>egg, cheese
>and ham and some herbs) is likely to have been used in this period and place
>(iii) if so then what about without the ham.

There are lots of egg/cheese/meat pies from that cuisine; see (what else?)
the Miscellany for examples.  Ditto for recipes for sweet dishes.

>(v) is there a "coffee" like drink
>that would have been used during this period. (ie. not minted water.)

No.  As far as I have been able to tell, people at this time in England
would have been drinking ale, mead, cider, or wine with meals, depending on
where they lived and what they could afford.  We have a recipe (17th
century) for a small mead (i.e., quickly made and very weakly alcoholic);
or if you really don't want alcohol, you could serve fresh cider if it is
in season.  I know of no evidence that people at your time and place would
have been drinking minted water, either, though there are mentions of
herb-scented waters to be used for washing the hands.

If you look at our stuff and have more questions, feel free to ask.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook