SC - Wooden cutting boards

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Oct 18 07:24:23 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/19/98 2:43:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< I am pretty sure that the usual form of kimchee you describe gets its heat
 from capsicum peppers, which are from the New World, so either very late
 period or OOP for Korea. I don't know whether there are older versions
 using black pepper or something similar, or not hot.

 David/Cariadoc
 http://www.best.com/~ddfr/ >>

It seems as if I recall that I saw or read somewhere that capsicums and a
variety of corn were being grown in Japan or Korea when the Portuquese arrived
there. Supposedly they had been introduced from the Chinese trade with the
West coast of the USA. Part iof the supporting argument involved the finding
of anchor stones off the US coast that were of Oriental fashionand/or origin.

Is anyone else aware of this particular theory? Is there more information
available about it?

Ras