SC - I have a problem

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 09:56:31 PDT 1998

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Hi from AM
> I'm sure that its not that the FDA "doesnt consider the lung fit for human
> consumption", but that they're afraid of the really rather nastie cooties
> one can get specifically from sheeps lungs. (can you say liver flukes?).
> These guys encyst in the lung and a cursory visual exam may or may not get
> them. You CAN find lungs in the country, but it takes some digging.
<snip>
> Anyway, the point is, the FDA isnt making some sort of value judgement, the
> rule is there for a very good reason. You can probably get around it if you
> want to, but be very careful!
>
> --Anne-Marie, who is amazed how often her microbiology degree (which
> included a lot of parasitology) comes in handy on this list!

It was my understanding the FDA had banned lungs for sale for human
consumption, for various of several reasons, such as the ones AM mentioned.
You can buy a whole sheep, as mentioned, or you can acquire them in some other
way than buying them in a market, or you can buy them for your dog or cat,
cook and process them, put them on the shelf in the fridge next to the beef
stew, and accidentally reach for the wrong container at your next meal time...

Hey! It happens all the time!

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --