SC - Korean food question

Gedney, Jeff gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Mon Oct 19 10:29:42 PDT 1998

On 10/7/98 6:21 AM you wrote:
>However, there is (somewhere) a period 'wafer' recipe involving flour
>and honey and not much else, which cooks as hard as a rock if you make
>it any thicker than a very slim wafer.
>...  I will try to rummage around and see if I can
>track it down for you; if noone else does before I get the chance.  If I
>haven't gotten back to you within a week or so, email me privately and
>remind me; I have a terrible memory.
>
>Kiriel
>===============================

Haven't heard anything further on this since the 7th (18th today), so...
especially as we just picked up a new wafer iron at the flea mkt this
morning, 8-).

I've only ever tried actually making wafers once, 8-).  The recipe I
tried was Pleyn Delit, 1st ed, #126, the Menagier's cheese wafer
variation; I tried changing it from savory to sweet, got a
waffle-ice-cream-cone type object by the end of the batter, over an open
fire, outside, not a stove.  (I think we were using the last of the grill
fire after the 1st birthday party, 8-).)  Interesting, but the batter was
REALLY thin and interesting to manage.  Would be highly interested in
this flour and honey one you mentioned?

Thanks,
Chimene

PS. In case folks are interested in what may be available at the flea
market near you, 8-):  Today's prize is a 4X7" rectangle, pizzele by
Berarducci of McKeesport PA, very nice lozenge pattern, with a star in
each diamond, and a round medallion in the center of one side...  $5.

     We already have 2 circular Scandinavian types from the same flea
market over the last 5 yrs or so; neither more than $10.  One is 5
inches, apparently aluminum (the one from Nordic-ware of Minneapolis!);
the other is cast-iron, 5 1/2", "Product of Jotul, Norway".  These both
have stylized leaf-y patterns, not TOO 19thC...  Both round ones came
with rings, but are obviously expected to be used indoors, as the handles
are very short, and with wooden or plastic grips (Argh!).  My nice new
one has about 12" extensions before you get to the wooden grips!  Doesn't
feel as heavy as the cast-iron, but definitely not aluminum.
     The last flea market we saw something new; a sort of cross shaped
one made up of 5 smaller rectangles laid out (let's hope the gods of
ASCII stay with me here!):
  =
 ===      with the rectangles being about 2x3".
  =
Didn't feel affordable that day, and we were late today and didn't see it
again.