SC - Alcohol law in the SCA-personal thoughts

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 17:00:37 PDT 1998

	One of our popular peers is diabetic but hates to be seen having a fuss
made over him.  Since he is usually at high table it is easier for us to
tailor his dishes for him without hurting his pride as the entire high
table gets his dishes.  No complaints yet.
	At our Regional Warlord Tourney we like to give the outgoing warlord &
consort, the incoming warlord & consort, and certain regional officers a
private luncheon for the purpose of easing the transition of office.
Usually the menu is the same as the populace but our shire has special high
table place setting that add ambience though if we are aware of either
warlord or consort having a fancy for a certain food (one warlord it was
our potato soup) we try to treat them.
	We have an order called Grand Chef which requires a feast of 26 documented
dishes of (I forget the number) different cultures; all 26 must be served
to the high table which is made up of the judges and at least 17 must be
served to the entire feast.  Seldom have I met any member of the populace
who could eat every one of their 17 dishes.  They are judged on their
documentation, quality of the dish, organization of the kitchen, and
service of the hall.
	When the high table is for royalty or officers I have no problem with
changing the menu.  They perform extra duties on our behalf so we should
show our appreciatation in whatever ways we can.  Our Populace is always
well fed so I do not feel that we have slighted them.

Lady Rovena

- ----------
> From: maddie teller-kook <meadhbh at io.com>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: Re: SC - re: Tasting Dinners
> Date: Monday, October 19, 1998 5:19 AM
>

> > It may be splitting hairs, but serving special dishes or the same
dishes with
> > special, more expensive ingredients to the the high table might also be
> > considered
> > to be a similar misuse of event or group money. I am undecided myself
on this one.

> I must disagree with you here Stefan.  Serviing 'special' dishes to the
crown or
> ranking nobility in a group is a very period thing to do. I don't usually
cook special
> dishes but I might serve the same dish differently to the high table. For
example, a
> long time ago I did a perio-oid dish called Basque Chicken. I used
chicken parts for
> the dish served to the populace. For the high table I used Rock Cornish
Hens to dress
> the dish up for the high table.
>
> Meadhbh
>
> > Stefan li Rous