SC - pate recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 19 22:57:31 PDT 1998

Hello the list,

After trying formal service, one-volunteer-per-table service and buffet, the
best compromise the Barony of Rowany has come up with is a modified formal
service. We use this for feasts of 200 - 350 people, and it would probably
scale up well.

The hall is divided into nominal tables of 8 or 10 (nominal because they are
rarely separate tables, but often in a U, E or multiple chevron set up). A
server is assigned to one or two tables, depending on numbers of both. In
the hall, the tables would be set up with cloths, candles, bread, water
jugs, etc and maybe fruit and/or nibbles (eg for Yule - in summer for us -
we usually have gilded walnuts, fresh cherries and marchpane holly leaves).
Cordials are often set out in big bowls with dippers on a table at the side
of the hall. People arrive and set up their own feast gear as usual.

In the kitchen area, we set up large plating tables - sometimes we use an
extra room or passage if the kitchen is small. The Barony has bought many
large stainless steel and silver plated oval platters. For each course, all
the food (except soups/stews) is arranged and garnished on platters, 8/10
serves to a platter, using one large or two smaller platters per table (eg
one hot and one cold).

Once the dishes in the course are announced, service is a simple matter of
each server collecting platters and taking them to their assigned table/s.
One of the kitchen staff is assigned to make sure this happens and solve
problems.

High table gets more smaller platters, more decorations, some extra dishes
and individual service, usually by one of the nobility or a well trained
server. Subtelties are also presented to high table before or after being
paraded around.

Soups and stews need to be individually served (two or more sets of one
server to carry, one to ladle), so we usually limit this to one per feast.
This takes time, but doesn't matter so much because people aready have a
platter of food at their table - they are not dependant on the soup to stave
off their hunger.

Once the course is over and people are dancing or whatever, servers
consolidate and clear off the remains, so the platters can be used for the
next course, if needed.

If we do more than 2 courses, we usually have the third buffet style,
especially as it is usually more dessert type foods which people will just
graze on (although these are often included in the easrlier courses too).
This is often set up in advance, well decorated and covered with gauze cloth
until it is announced.

This system means that servers only spend about 10 mins or so per course
serving and then get to eat and enjoy the feast like everyone else (well,
except the kitchen).

Hope this is useful
Rowan
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA