SC - Period Wedding

Aletta Saayman alettas at seaharvest.co.za
Tue Oct 20 05:19:24 PDT 1998

Ras asked:
><< Take fat, stir flour into it and pour
> the strained crayfish thereon and let it boil. After that sprinkle sugar
> upon it. This is a good lordly dish.

>Is this possibly a period example of 'roux'?

One of several roux mentions in Sabina's book. She borrowed recipes from a
number of sources and from prominent people in her region but I haven't
been able to figure out where she picked up this technique.

>BTW, I would like to thank you for the sauerkraut reference. It was made and
>served with Pork and Garlic Sauce and Baked Apples as the 2nd service at
>Harvest Melee in Silver Rhyll this past weekend and was well recieved. :-)

Sounds delicious and very seasonal. With beer it would be a great
Oktoberfest-type menu even for really mundane types who claim to hate
period cooking.

Valoise