SC - feastware question

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 20 16:58:20 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/20/98 2:55:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
SMaynard at qtrndss1.telstra.com.au writes:

<< Is there a period alternative?

 Thanks
 Willianm=-) >>

Well, that's a tough question.  Cariadoc has just about covered it in a

There is also the small matter of whether the 'pompion' recipes from period
are referring to a squash that resembles our winter squashes.  Most people
erroneously assume that this is the case because of circumstantial evidence or
modern observations.  I tend to think that the white flowered edible gourds
are the squash/pumpkins being referred to.  I also feel that the name for our
pumpkins was not applied because the fruits resembled those grown in Europe
but rather because the plant resembled that which was grown in Europe.

Edible gourds can be used in all the period recipes calling for 'pumpkins' or
gourds.  Most call for the vegetable to be 'sliced' or 'chopped' unlike modern
pumpkin recipes which call for mashing.  When the bird's nest, bottle, snake
or loofa gourds are used in period recipes, the end result is very good.  The
fact that most modern recipes use winter squash is irrelevant because there
are modern recipes that use zucchini and patty pans, which are summer squashes
that have a flavor very similar to the edible gourds.

Ras