SC - More Pig Questions

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 06:37:23 PDT 1998

Lord Ras said something that sounded like:
> You are  correct. My apologies. I was unaware that the restriction was
> specifically confined to Ansteorra. The locals here are convinced that it is a
> Corpora thing. I will have to look it up and see. Maybe things aren't as bad
> as I seem to think they are.

Good Morning again Ras.

Let me say that I am quite surprised at you for having such a short
attention span on this topic. You and I have gone around about this in
the past, and you knew then that it was localized to Ansteorra, and out
and out accused the Seneschal of our fair Kingdom of being a thief and
recommended prosecution. That is neither hear nor there though.

I hope that things will be clamer and more level headed on both sides
this time around.

> I am aware of some of the
> cultural pecularities that occur ion Ansteorra but it still amazes me that a
> culture that encourages it's citizens to walk around armed to the teeth could
> have such an overeaction to alcohol.

As others have pointed out, this is in part due to being in the Bible
Belt, and to be specific, they are probably based on Oklahoma. Although
*parts* of Oklahoma allow serving by the drink, I would say it's still
in the barily majority that do not.

If you'd like to see the maps of the counties that allow serving by the
drink, take a look at:

http://WWW.ABLE.STATE.OK.US/EASTERN.HTM
http://WWW.ABLE.STATE.OK.US/SOUTHERN.HTM
http://WWW.ABLE.STATE.OK.US/WESTERN.HTM

The ones that *do* are in white. If I counted right, those that allowed
it were outnumbered by 1 county still.

Unfortunately I have not yet found a similar setup for Texas.

As for the laws that affect us (besides the county/local) within
Ansteorra with regards to brewing/vintning, they can be found at:

http://southern.ansteorra.org/bvc/appendix1.html

This is part of a handbook that I'm trying to start.

> IIRC, it was to avoid future problems from occurring.

Although it is part of it, from my investigation into the Laws of our
lands, and some private discussions with folks, I do not feel that this
was all of it.

> I also feel that little consideration was given to the intrusion this
> law would be to the personal liberties of their citizens

A very valor ideal, but not pratical for a corporation.

Luckily since the majority of the laws around alcohol do not affect the
corporation or the Kingdom, they do not remind us of them.

For example, in Oklahoma, you can not vint without a free license that
has to be renewed every year. As well, to brew beer, you have to get a
license which costs $1500 a year.

> I sincerely hope that  this law can be modified to
> exclude feast preparation and Brewer's Guilds.

Personally I think the current law helps both the guilds and the feast
coordinators. It allows the feast coordinators to get alcohol
(admittedly only wines, beers, etc) for free, and it allows the brewers
to show off their skills.

========

Then Bear said something that sounded like:
> I don't know about other parts of the kingdom, but the brewer's around
> Namron own all of their equipment and assemble as a group to assist each
> other, discuss techniques and taste the latest creations.  None of the
> equipment is owned by the SCA group.

As with the group in Bryn Gwlad. We own all of our equipment and none of
it is the SCA's. We have had some donations from individuals to assist
us. Usually brewers/vintners that either only dabbled or retired the
equipment.

Btw, I hope to see the Honorable Brotherhood at the brewing round table
at LPT. I tried to get Count Finn to assist, or suggest someone who
could, with the panel of the round table, but I never heard back from him.

> The Honorable Brotherhood of Brewers and Vintners has been kind enough to
> supply my last feasts (the ones after this mess blew up) with donated
> beverages.

Great! This is what I did as well for our recent Baronial Celtic Games.
The cook needed about 5 gallons of stout, so I made it up for them.

Btw, I am not a lawyer, relevant SCA officer, or an expert. I'm just
someone who wanted to cover his own butt and started investigating the
different laws. I personally am not trying to change the laws, in part
because I agree with them with regards to guilds, and in part that I
don't want to see them even more convoluted than they already are.

In Service,

- --
Richard "Pug" Bainter                 |          GlobeSet, Inc.
System & Network Admin. Manager       |  1250 S. Capital of Tx Hwy, 1-300
  pug at GlobeSet.com  |  pug at pug.net    |         Austin, TX 78746
Note: The views may not reflect my employers, or even my own for that matter.