SC - OED ??

Weiszbrod, Barbara A Barbara.Weiszbrod at SW.Boeing.com
Wed Oct 21 07:26:37 PDT 1998

Jeff Botkins wrote:

> This may seem like a silly question, but when OED is referred to, do
> this mean "Old English Dictionary" or is it something else ??
>
> Yours in service,
>
> Jeff

The Oxford English Dictionary, in only its second published edition since its
initial volumes were first published in, I believe, the late 1880's or so, is
still the definitive work on English words and their etymology. I understand a
third edition is in the works (rather than new editions they used to publish
an annual supplement, I think), but for many, many years it was considered
unnecessary to even consider another edition.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy