SC - Elizabethan buffet (long)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Oct 22 00:40:46 PDT 1998

At 2:19 PM +0200 10/20/98, Aletta Saayman wrote:
>Aletta Saayman

You seem to be assuming that the post you are responding to is about "true
period entertainment." Brenna started her response "we like to do"--she was
describing current practice in her part of the SCA. In my experience, at
least, things done in the SCA are sometimes based on period activities, but
quite often not.

For example ...  . I don't know of any evidence that cloved fruit is a
period practice--my vague impression is that it was invented in the SCA. I
know of no evidence that the sort of contests we often have in the SCA
corresponded to anything that would have happened at a medieval wedding
feast. I wouldn't be surprised if people danced at medieval weddings, but I
don't actually know that they do, and the fact that SCA people dance at SCA
weddings is little evidence of period practice.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/