SC - Yellow Man

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 23 09:32:49 PDT 1998

Combining topics to save space:

HONEYCOMB:  Also called "sponge candy," the name I learned.  You make by
creating a sugar syrup, with some vinegar in it, then quickly stir in a bit
of baking soda and pour IMMEDIATELY into a large tray.  The action of
vinegar and baking soda causes the candy to foam up, and it keeps the holes
as it cools (which is quickly).

I have not seen recipes with baking powder.

COLOURING CURD:  I add a bit of the peel to my curds, which colours it
nicely.  Also do this for lemon or lime pie filling (I find orange too
sweet).  Once I made a keylime pie for dinner after fighter practice, and
one person made a show of not eating any.  When asked why, he said he did
not like the taste of food colourings (he had complained about the taste of
a cake I had once made, although in comparison with a plain cake the only
flavour I noticed was vanilla!) and several of the cooks loudly came to my
defense.  I denied using dyes, they pointed to the flecks of peel, and he
finally agreed to eat some.

The way the others went at it, he was darned lucky there was any left.

BTW, I have not seen curdlike things in period, I think because of the lack
of citrus fruits in the likely countries.

- ---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                   Morgan Cely Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra
	                            (and sometimes in Atlantia)

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	         For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

	                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!