SC - July Tavern event.

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 23 15:36:52 PDT 1998

I'm seeking a recipe that resembles some wonderful wine biscuits made in a
convent outside of Providence, RI.

They were moderately hard, but not too dry, and had a reddish tint (red wine).
They had enough shortening in them to spot the paper sacks they came in.  The
flavor was slightly sweet and black peppery.  I have found wine biscuits
occasionally in Gourmet stores but they lack the sweet/peppery taste.  These
were usually about the diameter of a silver dollar and round but occasionally
the size and shape of a forefinger.  They were available, hot from the oven in
the morning in back of the convent and were most marvelous in the mid
afternoon with a cup of tea - or a glass of red wine!!!

If anyone has a recipe for such a creation, I would be most appreciative.
Would also wonder if there is any reference to such a sort of biscuit in
anyone's documentation.  Many Thanks!!!

Sister Mary Endoline