cloved fruit (was: SC - Period Wedding)

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Sat Oct 24 04:33:26 PDT 1998

>the original:
>	Take marye; do hit yn a pot with hony, poudyr of pepyr, poudyr
>	of ginger & canell & ale & aleye hit. Take brede; cut hit in
>	gobettys. Tost hem, couch hem yn disches. Loke thy syrup be
>	salt; yyf hit a coulour of safron and serve hit forthe.
>
>As I read it:
>	Take marrow; and put it in a pot with honey, ground pepper,
>	ginger, cinnamon, and beer, and combine it.
>	Take bread, cut it into peices. toast it and put the bread in
>	dishes. Look that the syrup is seasoned, color it with
>	saffron and serve it forth
>
>As I interpret it:
>	1/2 cup ground marrow
>	1 cup honey
>	1 cup beer

I can't prove it, and I don't think I have ever done the recipe, but my
guess, from the way the recipe is written, would be that marrow is the
major ingredients, with the other things flavoring it. Note, for example,
that hony, pepper, cinamon and ginger are all given in parallel, as if they
serve the same role.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/