SC - Ansteorran Crown Tourney...

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Oct 25 09:21:33 PST 1998

At 09:11 19-10-98 -0500, Alys wrote:
>The point (as far as I can tell) of hanging the tracea out of the pot is to
>let gases escape from the lungs and in doing so prevent it from exploding.
>That would really be gross!  The receipes that I have found tell you to
>discard it after the cooking is complete..

>From *Scottish Cookery*:

    My first haggis-making exploits were as a student when the whole
process took the best part of a day to complete.  The raw Sheep's Pluck*,
while not a pretty sight, didn't worry me at all but the windpipe hanging
over the side of the pot which the whole pluck was cooking in, quietly
disgorging the blood and other impurities from the lungs into a jar which
we had placed on the cooker, did not appeal.

    * A Sheep's Pluck is the part of the animal which has been 'plucked'
out of the belly and includes the liver, heart and lungs which are all
joined together with the windpipe at one end.

[*Scottish Cookery*, Catherine Brown, pp 147-148.  Copyright 1989 by
Catherine Brown.]

Instructions for actually making the haggis (the day after the pluch has
been cooked) include "cut off the windpipe, trim away all skin and black
parts."

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable