SC - mead

Jeff Botkins jbotkins at ime.net
Tue Oct 27 09:45:26 PST 1998

>> A parish is also a political subdivision of a British county, usually
>> corresponding to an ecclesiastical parish.

Though neither of these are really political divisions anymore if I
understand my mother-in-law correctly.  She was elected to district
council, which put her on unofficial councils for two parishes, a county
and a village. Or it may have been two more towns rather than the
county.  These entities are only just related to each other and the
district, lots of boundary crossing, with her unofficially representing
bits of property that edge over into the next district because those
people know to which village/town/parish they belong, no matter where
the district lines were drawn.

Bonne

>Yes, they are ecclesiastical.  The Parish of Byfield Ma is made of
parts of
>Rowley, Newbury, and I think Georgetown.  Although people use Byfield
as
>their address, the police and governemnt falls back to the indevidual
towns.

>Rowley, my home town, is unusual these days in still being run by Town
>Meetings.  Anyone that is interested enough to attend the meetings is
>allowed to have their say on any issue, and gets a vote too.  We don't
even
>have a Mayor.  The beauty of small town living!
>
>Alys D.

SCA-Cooks".