SC - Payn Ragoun questions

Gedney, Jeff gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Tue Oct 27 12:59:51 PST 1998

"Take hony and sugur cipre and clarifie it togydre, and boile it with
esy fyre, and kepe it wel fro brennyng. And whan it hath yboiled a
while, take vp a drope [th]erof wi[th] [th]y fyngur and do it in a
litel water, adn loke if it hong togydre; and take it fro the fyre and
do [th]erto pynes and thriddendele & powdour gyngeuer, and stere it
togyder til it bigynne to thik, and cast it on a wete table; lesh it
and serue it forth with fryed mete, on flessh dayes or on fysshe
dayes. " Curye on Inglisch IV: 68

I know this recipe has been redacted a bunch of times, but I'm still
left with a couple of questions unanswered that I'm hoping someone
out there can answer.

1.  It says to "cast it on a wete table; lesh it ..." How do you lesh
something?  All of the redactions I've seen either pour it into a
greased pan and then cut it into bars or pour it onto a wet surface
then form it into a log.  The wet surface part I understand, but how
is either of these leshing it?  The log version makes a bit more
sense to me because it's called "payn", so a resemblance to bread
wouldn't be unreasonable.

2.  I know that "mete" doesn't necessarily mean meat, but this says
to serve it on flesh or fish days with fried "mete".  Should this
literally be "meat" in this instance or am I misunderstanding.

Thanks to anyone who has a clue.

Claricia Nyetgale
(Ottawa, Ontario)
<Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca>