SC - Glass history links

Helen him at gte.net
Tue Oct 27 17:15:35 PST 1998

A friend gave my family a jar of rum-soaked raisins last year.  She'd made them
herself.  I think it was done by putting sugar in the rum until it could hold
no more and then filling the jar with raisins.  Yummy!

First of all, does that sound right for making rum-soaked fruit?  I can't
imagine any other ingredients, nor do I remember tasting any, but . . .
On that train of thought, what other spices might be good to add to the rum and
fruit mixture?  (The few that come to my mind are cinnamon sticks, allspice,
and ginger, but I'd like suggestions.)
I'm curious, does the collective intelligence of the cooks list think this
would work for other dried fruits?
If I wanted to make a pie-filling using the rum-soaked fruit, would it be
better to use the whole bits of rum-soaked dried-fruit or to put it in the
blender first?

(Whole formed, from the forehead of Zeus, came the sudden idea of a pie made
with rum-soaked dried apricots, dried cranberries, prunes, and raisins, topped
by freshly whipped cream . . . and I simply *must* know how possible this would
be to make.  Hmm, now there is another question, how long would I cook this
delectable pie?)