SC - Islinglass

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 26 18:59:06 PST 1998

Robyn Probert wrote:

> >Islinglass is indeed made from the swim bladder of some type of fish
> >(can't remember which one off the top of my head right now).
>
> Isinglass was also used to preserve eggs through winter - it formed a
> coating on the outside preventing air from getting in.
>
> Rowan

Oooooh, I see what's happening here. The substance sometimes called isinglass,
used to preserve eggs, is a solution of sodium silicate, which is usually a
thick, syrupy, clear liquid. I didn't see this mentioned in Mrs. Beeton's
book, but I didn't exactly search with a magnifying glass, either.

The isinglass used for fining wines and such, and various jellies, is
essentially a source of gelatin, obtained from sturgeon (ising being
Anglo-Saxon for sturgeon) and some other large fish. If made into a solution
and left out in the open, it will eventually rot like any other meat-based
gelatin, and would probably have a bad effect on any eggs stored in it.

BTW, enough of the protein-based insinglass to make the bucketful or so of
solution one would need to preserve any decent number of eggs (assuming it
would work, which it wouldn't, or not for very long) is rather expensive, so I
feel less like a spoil-sport in mentioning this distinction, and more like I'm
saving people some cash.

I've also heard of eggs being waxed, BTW, to keep them fresh for a while.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy