SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1053

Marian DeBorah Rosenberg Marian.DeBorah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Wed Oct 28 19:42:46 PST 1998

Apologies on the strange format, this is lifted off the digest.

- ---quote---
From: Marilyn Traber <margali at 99main.com>
Subject: Re: SC - OOP cooking questions

I have an antique rumpot [ok, well one that has been passed down and we have
always
refreshed it when we use any of it] that ranges from raisins, almonds, slices
of
orange and lemon[including the skin] dates, cinnamon sticks, whole anise stars,
whole cloves, uncrushed cardamom seeds, rum, brandy and not a bit of sugar or
honey. We have found that the alcohol keeps the micro-life away, and extracts
the
sugars and bioflavinoids from the fruits quite nicely. Of course, after a while
everything except any inclusions less that a month old are the same brown
color[
the rasins and dates turn into molecular slime that disperses and
flavors/colors
everything brown, go figure] but it is great in homemade plum pudding and
mincemeat.

margali
also proud possesser of a 113 year old apple cider barrel that has been in
constant
service in the family
- --- end of quote ---

A rumpot?  This sounds like an interesting idea . . . do you need a special
type of container for one?

I'm jealous of the cider barrel . . . very jealous . . .

My family has managed to keep a annually used beer marinade (I'll add the
recipe to the end of this message, we've made the dish at other times but it is
sort of traditional to have it only in January) going for 5 or 6 years now (it
was almost 10 years old when a younger me *spilled* the cooler before the
mixture could be taken out and kept for the next year.)

- ---quote---
From: Beverly Viel <cookbevsez at forumboard.com>
Subject: SC - OOP cooking questions

With all that liquid I would suggest you bake the pie blind first then add the
fruit
etc., to it.
Bev

- ---end of quote---

Pie blind?

I was more or less planning on taking the fruit out to put in the pie-shell
(and I'd be using store bought) and adding more fruit to the liquid and fruit
remains (something that would have happened to the rum-raisin remains if not
for getting that delightful idea of making a rum and vanilla milkshake).

Beer marinade ham --

2 cases cheap beer (minimum)
Mustard powder
Brown Sugar
Garlic Powder
Cloves
Ham

Empty beer into a cooler.  Score ham in a one inch grid.  Clove the ham.  Dump
the mustard powder, garlic powder, and sugar into the beer.  Stir.  Put the ham
in the cooler.  Turn twice daily for at least a week.  Cook the way you'd
normally cook a ham that size.

(I'm wondering, considering the discussion on cloved onions earlier this month
how a few of those might taste bobbing in the mix.)