SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Fri Oct 30 08:16:02 PST 1998

Thanks to everyone who responded to me question about vegetable names.

I think everyone agrees that caboches = cabbages and rapes = turnips.

The discrepanices were rafens = either radishes or raisins -- I am leaning
toward raisins just because "f" is often an "s" in these old recipes.  For
those that said radishes -- what was your reasoning/documentation?

Also, almost everyone agreed that root of persel = root of parsley, but I've
never seen another recipe calling for the <root> of parsley -- just the
leaves.  Someone suggested it was perhaps parsnips instead. If I did try to
use parsley, any idea how/where to get roots of parsley?

Finally, Adamantius -- of course I would like to see the recipe for this
that you have :)

Morgan MacBride