SC - Fw: Fireplace cooking info anone?

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Fri Oct 30 14:09:13 PST 1998

Mordonna DuBois said:

>> 2) One of the concepts of the SCA is that we are all nobility,
>> not poorer than dirt.

I have always objected to the concept that "we are all nobility"; it's not
in Corpora or any other place, and it is really out of true.  The only
"concept" behind it seems to be that at the costume party that started the
SCA, most people portrayed noble characters because it's more fun to dress
up as Knights and Ladies and Royalty than the average peasant type.  Also,
people seem to use it as an excuse to wear fancy garb, get out of helping
with chores for events and other times, and serving unnecessarily elaborate
meals.  IMHO,YMMV.

As to the second, well, a whole lot of nobility were, and are, "poorer than
dirt."  Many writings tell of the strain of providing adequately for guests,
expected and otherwise, at celebrations and other occasions.  One might well
serve a simple items such as turnips with some nice sauce or as "armored
neeps" for camouflage.  Give high table the roast and everybody else a nice
stew, to stretch the little meat you have available.  Etc.

							---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                   Morgan Cely Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra
	                      (zooming around the West Kingdom
                         in a white Mustang convertible!)

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	       For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

	                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!