SC - Cacik (Cucumbers in Yogurt Mint Sauce)-recipe

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 30 14:55:39 PST 1998

At 4:11 PM -0800 10/28/98, Donna Hrynkiw wrote:
>Greetings to this gathering of folks from Elizabeth Braidwood of An Tir,
>newly subscribed to this list.
>What I would like to request from you is to drop me a note when you run
>across a reference to medieval flour, bread or baking in your wanderings;
>references to bread (especially if they're describing it), pictures
>of bakers and ovens, millers and mills, references to baking techniques
>(rising/fermenting, frequency of baking, etc), well, you get the idea.

We have two period bread recipes in our _Miscellany_, one from Platina's
description of making bread (15th c. Italian) and one from a 16th c. Indian
source for chapatis and similar breads.  We also have the Rastons recipe
which Cindy Renfrow mentioned.  If you don't have a paper copy of the
Miscellany, the 6th edition (we're now up to the 8th in hardcopy) is webbed
at:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

Do you know Wulfric the Mad Baker/Jeremy Fletcher from this area (Southern
Shores, central West Kingdom)? He has been collecting baking info, and even
has his own baker's marks: little metal images you put under your dough as
it is baked, so that the finished loaf has your mark baked into the bottom.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook