SC - possibly OOP - wood stove - WARNING!!

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Tue Oct 13 22:57:04 PDT 1998

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:42:54 +0200 Jessica Tiffin <melisant at iafrica.com>
writes:
>greetings, the List.
>
>I've just moved house into one which boasts, lurking in a corner of the
>kitchen, a genuine, purportedly fully functional, Aga wood stove - one
of
>those ones with the big insulated covers for the plates, and heavy metal
>doors on the firebox and oven.  We haven't tried playing around with it
yet,
>but plan to this weekend, when the Shire Cook's Guild are going to move
in
>and try it out.  Not really period, of course, but at least it's cooking
on
>a fire, far more authentic  than electricity! :>
>
>So - does anyone have any experience with these stove-monsters, or any
>handy/helpful hints, suggestions or warnings? Some of our other cooks
have
>used them before, but I have *no* experience with these things, and
wouldn't
>even know what kind of fuel to feed it.
>
>any comments/anecdotes welcome,
>
>Melisant
>
>Melisant de Huguenin
>Minister of Arts and Sciences, Shire of Adamastor, Drachenwald (Cape
>Town, South Africa)
>Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a willow
>slip vert.
>Jessica Tiffin * melisant at iafrica.com

Greetings to Melisant,
	First it would be more correct to call it a cook stove. Having
grown up around one of the beasts my first suggestion is to clean the
stove AND more importantly the chimney it hooks up to if it does. A good
soot build-up can catch fire before you know it. You do not want to fight
a chimney fire. You should also check the fire box for any cracked and or
warped plating. Cracked should be replaced and warped should be watched
for cracks.
	Fuel should be wood of any kind. Watch out for wood that has been
oil soaked or has any other petrol stuff in/on it. When I was very young
I remember an oil soaked log was put in the stove and the top became
cherry red.
	If you have any kids. Teach them stove safety. I learned the hard
way and ended up with second degree burns after placing both hands flat
on the hot surface.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1709