SC - mincemeat

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Wed Oct 14 05:32:01 PDT 1998

In a message dated 98-10-13 23:13:36 EDT, Philippa wrote:

<< Is the idea of
 mincemeat, to stretch the small amount of meat by the addition of the fruits
 etc? >>

I don't think so, in most cases, though I'm quite sure if we could wander back
there, we'd find that less opulent households would certainly utilize mince
meat for the purpose of stretching the protein allowance.

The recipes usually call for pretty large portions of meat, to begin with.
And if you look at the body of Elizabethan recipes as a whole, you will find
that they had an almost overwhelming sweetness to them.  Dentists would have
had a field day in Elizabethan England.  Saying that Elizabethans had a
fondness for sweet food is the understatement of the 16th century.  ;-)

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother