SC - RE: Food fights at feasts was...

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Wed Oct 14 08:51:11 PDT 1998

Hi there from Anne-Marie
Berengaria sez (hi Ber!)

	Hi AM!  How's the lab?

> > 	Ummmmm...I might possibly be a vector for this charming
> > 	custom.  As I recall, I was first exposed to this
> > 	practice when attending an event with Her Grace Jacyntha
> > 	(I *think* was Crown Princess then) in An Tir.  I thought
> > 	it was charming and made sure we had silver trays and
> > 	paper slips packed for the Crown Council feast in An Tir
> > 	that year--where quite a few visiting dignitaries were
> > 	present.

and Jacyntha got it from that first Kingdom A/S we had here in Madrone
when Anastasia won (remember that school in Maple Valley?).

	How could I possibly forget it?  :-)

 I remember Cornelius von Rugen sending her bits of bread on a tray,
then they came to me and I made a snowman, then someone next to me got
creative with the crudities and it was downhill from there :). I wonder
where Cornelius and Jacyntha got the idea from?

	I don't know; you're much closer than I am, you ask.  :-)

Oh, and for the record, if anyone actually THREW food I would pitch a
hissy fit of epic proportions. Not only does it make a mess, and waste
food (which I abhor. I wont do spam carving or anything of that ilk
either, not with the hungry people in the world today. but I digress),
but how are you supposed to tell that 5 year old that its not ok to
throw food when they saw the king do it? Bad news. I am appalled that
anyone, much less a bunch of peers would do such a thing. Next time it
happens, send 'em my way and I'll give 'em a talking to they wont forget
soon! Hmph.

	I have been guilty of chucking a piece of bread once
	or twice in my life; but I really like the civilized
	food fights better precisely because I dislike waste
	of food; and also because someone inevitably escalates,
	and ruining someone's garb is just Not Done.

Besides which, doing it "our" way is much better, less mess and takes
far more intelligence and creativity. ANYONE can pitch a grape into a
cleavage.  It takes a real man to make a green bean squid to sink our
longship.

	You are so right there.  :-)  I enjoy seeing the
	creativity and skill that enters the contest as
	the rounds progress.  We've got a knight here who's
	great at it; when we had guests from Calontir and
	a diner wanted to send them a tornado, he tore the
	head, spun up to the head table and blew the bits
	gently onto the table in front of the Calontiri.  :-)

Berengaria