SC - gingered butternut squash soup (Was: Italian Ren Feast)

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Oct 14 11:31:31 PDT 1998

Bear says...
>Be careful!  The term pumpkin is general, as are the terms squash and
gourd. They appear to be loosely based on the shape of the fruit and are
applied to members of the family Cucurbitaceae usually of the species
Cucurbita and Lagenaria.  For example, what we call a pumpkin is a variant
of Cucurbita pepo.

Japanese pumpkin is a variant of Cucurbita moschata as is the butternut
squash and therefore should be closer in taste and texture to the butternut
squash than to the pumpkin.

This kind of headache is why we often use species and genus when discussing
a particular plant or animal.  It assures us are discussing the same thing.<

Thank you so much for clearing this up a little. I have often wondered
why/how we can disseminate between these foodstuffs. I knew a pumpkin of
sorts was period but...

Micaylah