SC - Re: Period Feasts

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Wed Oct 14 15:36:01 PDT 1998

Linda,

> --- Thank you, milady, but I have noticed that when I attend truly
> "period" feasts, where the cook has researched and lists as period the
> dishes served, that there are a lot of dishes that many people don't
> find enjoyable!  I was looking for a way of taking the best tasting
> our modern palates) dishes and incorporating them all into a truly
> great
> tasting, while being mostly period, feast.   Is this possible?--
> Seannach

I agree with the others - a bad feast often results from a combination
of bad cooking, poor choice of dishes and public awareness/acceptance.

If you are doing your tour of the ages feast simply because of people
not eating, then you may want to consider doing a more strict time/place
menu and taste-test your recipes, check for balance etc.

However if you are doing your tour of the ages feast because it is a
good idea - then do it !!  I have considered doing a feast like that
myself for a newcomers event.  Also I am doing a Feast of Illusion next
February and although I think it is a feast that many cooks look at
doing - I don't think it is a feast that would have been done in period.
Similarly I don't think a tour of the ages feast would have been done in
period either (some one please correct me if I'm wrong - please!) but
this is the current middle ages and occasionally it is interesting to do
a gimmicky feast.

Just as it is also loads of fun to do a whole time/place feast ....

Regards

Meliora - Polit, Lochac, The West
Melissa - Canberra, Australia