SC - gingered butternut squash soup (Was: Italian Ren Feast)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 14 19:38:28 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/14/98 9:44:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< 2. Isn't bottle gourd Lageneria sicereia (sp?).

 David/Cariadoc >>

Bottle gourds, bird's nest gourds, snake gourds and luffa gourds are all
legenaria, SFAIK. They are all also very edible when picked young. In fact, I
passed out several snake gourds at Pennsic to interested parties but have
recieved no input about their experiments so far. I own experiments from those
grown in my garden show luffa, bottle and snake gourds to be very tasty and
they produced good results when used in all the period gourd/squash/pumpkin
(e.g. pompion) recipes that I tried.

Ras