SC - Turnips

Peggy A. Stonnell izzie at vcn.bc.ca
Thu Oct 15 06:04:42 PDT 1998

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/13/98 4:02:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, izzie at vcn.bc.ca
> writes:
>
> << nd it is better when made with the milder purple top white
>  turnips.
>
>  Isobel fitz Gilbert >>
>
> Is there another kind of turnips other than purple top? I know that there is a
> root veggie called 'rutabagas' which are yellowish in flesh and very strong
> flavored but rutabagas were earen by cattle and peasants during the MA.
> Turnips are by nature much milder in flavor. Thanks for the info in advance.
>
> Ras

I have found that a lot of  people confuse the two, including those
working in the weggie deptment of my local supermarket.  I went in once
after they had re-arranged every thing, couldn't find turnip, so asked.
The floor person promptly pointed me towards the 'rutabagas' and was very
puzzled when I insisted that I was looking for turnips, not the other.
Never did get turnips that shopping trip.  Fortunatly I wasn't shopping
for an event, just wanted a turnip to put in my stew.

When I was growing up, my whole family called the 'rutabaga' turnip.  I
was an adult and living on my own before I learned the difference.

Isobel