SC - OOPSquash Soup Recipe-WHY OOP?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Oct 15 11:00:18 PDT 1998

At 11:08 AM -0500 10/15/98, Angie Malone wrote:
>I haven't been able to keep up with the list for a while so please excuse
>me if I have dug up a previously dealt with issue, why is this recipe
>considered OOP.  Is it because of the kind of squash used?

1. All of what we call squash (although not all edible gourds) are probably
from the New World, hence unlikely, although not impossible, to appear in
period cooking; in fact I do not know of any period recipe that specifies
them.

2. For a lot of us, "OOP" doesn't mean "I can prove with certainty that
this dish was never made in period" but rather "I have no good reason to
believe that it was made in period." Consider blue jeans. Denim cloth,
copper rivets, blue dye--all available in period. They could have been put
together to make bluejeans, but we have no reason to believe that they
were, so regard blue jeans as OOP costume.

3. The post you are referring to appeared after a long thread on the
question of whether the recipe was or could be made period.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/