SC - re: Tasting Dinners

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Oct 15 14:36:16 PDT 1998

Phlip writes:

> Why in blazes are you letting people take money out of your feast budget
> for a private party? Unless I'm very mistaken, that comes dangerously close
> to violation of the guidelines for acceptable usage of Shire, etc. funds.

My sentiments exactly; and I'm dern glad to hear it's not "accepted" practice elsewhere in the Known World.

I just about had a cardiac last year when I was planning our annual White Shield feast and they asked me to be sure and save the receipts from the tasting dinner!  You shoulda heard me go off...  <blush>

I've been trying to discourage the practice, but "everyone knows" that's how it's "always been done" ...and you know how hard it is for people to give up Getting Something For Free...

Seannach writes:

> Wow, $12-$15 per feast?  I've never seen a feast cost that much per
> person!

<G>  Welcome to the West...

Gwen-cat writes:

> I also pre-test my recipes before a feast - on my roomies, my household,
> the local cooks guild, and or a party - but the experiments are out of my
> pocket... the budget is for the feast and feasters!!!  and as for buying
> retail - Not if it is available on sale, in bulk, at the farmers market...
> (in on case I wanted a somewhat obscure veggie (and knew this in spring for
> a late August feast) so I grew it myself!)

Good for you!!!!  That's how I've always done it.  I have my meat wholesaler's number memorized... AND he's honest enough to tell me when chickens are cheaper at Safeway...  :-)

Thanks all, for letting me vent... I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!!!!

	- kat