SC - Re: Feastware Question

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Fri Oct 16 01:21:06 PDT 1998

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Phil & Susan Troy wrote:

> Can you supply some info on what publication of the USDA that comes from, and
> where I might find it? I ask only because it is completely the opposite of
> everything I've ever been taught, and more or less contravenes local law where
> I live, in the land of lawyers and restaurants. You can't buy a food-service
> sized wooden cutting board in New York City today, at least not legally.
> Nowadays they are either some kind of plastic, or a hard rubber that's really
> fun to play with, mold, and shape when it's still hot from the industrial dishwasher...
>
> I'm not questoning your word, but I'd like to take it up with the USDA. Some
> info would be helpful in getting to the bottom of this.

Don't know about the USDA, but a swedish study with, IIRC, chicken
showed that wood was better than plastic. What they did was to puree
some chicken and coat several cutting boards (I *think* they cut them as
well to make it realistic), and left it for X hours (over night IIRC).
The boards where then rinsed and tested for bacterial contamination. The
wooden ones came out better than the plastic.

My problem with the study was that the long incubation time with the
chicken was unrealistic for real kitchen purposes, and that better
protocols could have been devised.

/ulfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei(at)algonet.se
Unfortunately, development was stopped on the production version of
[life], and we've been supporting and kluging the demo version for the
last 4 billion years.  -- Paul Tomblin