SC - re: Tasting Dinners

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Sun Oct 18 21:07:08 PDT 1998

Stefan said:

>It may be splitting hairs, but serving special dishes or the same dishes
with
special, more expensive ingredients to the the high table might also be
considered
to be a similar misuse of event or group money. I am undecided myself on
this one.<

I tend to disagree with this, somewhat. When Ras did the Special thing for
Adamantius' Crown, while the items he made were not given to the general
populace (in point of fact, I think Adamantius wound up eating most of
them), they didn't, IIRC, come out of the feast budget- Ras came up with
them on his own. I do feel that a special bit of shtick should go into
service at High Table, just because that's the way it was done in period,
but that does not necessarily mean that the items have to cost more, merely
be prepared and presented a bit differently. For the feast I'm working on,
(yes, A, I'm working on that exercise we were discussing, although I
haven't discussed it with you yet), I'm developing special dishes to be
served to High Table, which are no more expensive than the rest of the
feast, and which would obviously (and I WILL make it OBVIOUS) be mostly
distributed as largesse. So everybody else gets a rib roast, and High Table
gets a Crown Roast- big whopping deal! It's the same cut of meat, just
presented differently. The thing I'm often amazed at is some of the trouble
various cooks on this list go to in order to make finicky eaters happy- and
I'm sorry, but I consider Vegans to be finicky eaters. I would, however, be
willing to take allergies into account, including posting an accurate
ingredients list. I also am reasonably willing to NOT make a pork roast the
centerpiece of the meal, because of the serious Jews and Moslems we have,
both in the mundane world, and in persona.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom