SC - OOP Gingered Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Oct 19 00:48:32 PDT 1998

At 2:25 PM +1000 10/19/98, Maynard, Steven wrote:
>From: Linda Carey
>GINGERED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
>
>Ok here is the gumby cooks question,
>What's out of period in the receipe?
>(This is a serious question)
>(As stated before I know very little of food history)

1. Butternut squash is probably from the New World (I say "probably"
because someone on this list cited some evidence that possibly related
gourds were old world).

2. The fact that the recipe comes from a modern source, not a medieval one.
That doesn't prove it is out of period--just as the fact that I got a phone
number by throwing a dart at the phone book doesnt show the number isn't
yours (although the odds aren't quite as bad in the recipe case)--but it
means we have no reason to believe the recipe is a period one.

The basic point of identifying it as OOP is that someone reading a recipe
posted to this list might well assume that it is a period recipe--since it
is being posted to a list partly dedicated to discussing period recipes. By
putting OOP in the title, the poster makes it clear that as far as she
knows it is not.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/